Semi Permanent Eyebrow Makeup (Also known as Eyebrow Tattooing)
By Jeni Watson (RN, DipMicropigmentation),
Please Note - This website has extensive information on semi permanent treatments with Jeni Watson and includes images of her work. It must stressed, it may not reflect how treatments are carried out elsewhere.
Jeni’s work has featured in: The Daily Telegraph Online/Stella Magazine
left brows after eyebrow tattooing treatment/brow loss through overplucking
A complete semi permanent eyebrow tattooing treatment with Jeni is highly personalised and is made up of 2 sessions over 4 hours. The 1st session includes a detailed 45 minute consultation in which a portfolio of work is shown and is followed by re-design and ‘draw on’ time, and then the main treatment. ‘Block’ brows are not undertaken – a ‘hairstroke’ brow takes time to complete but it gives the most realistic effect.
A ‘less is more’ approach is taken initially to enable clients to adjust to their new brows as this can take some time in cases of complete eyebrow loss. With eyebrow tattooing it is always easier to add than take away.
After 6 weeks the brows will have faded (between 20% – 40%) and a full top up treatment is carried out to strengthen the colour and shape. Note the differing styles/colours shown below. Jeni always tries to preserve and work with existing brows. On occasion ’stray’ hairs will be removed to give a more groomed look if requested by the client. Unretouched images of Jeni’s work are shown below with apologies for lighting variations. Pictures are taken immediately post treatment and not on models.
client above had virtually plucked out her existing brow. Careful redesign has restored it
client above had shapeless brows given more drama and shape using a dense hairstroke technique
Eyebrow Semi Permanent Makeup is ideal for anyone suffering from hairloss, overplucking/waxing, cosmetic allergies, athletic lifestyles, or have difficulty applying make up (especially brows).
Above – a re-design of overplucked brow
clients above and below wished to have their existing patchy brows enhanced and given more impact
using a dense hairstroke technique dense hairstroke brow
Another element of eyebrow tattooing is careful colour choice. The client’s skin tone is always carefully assessed during the consultation process in order to help prevent unwanted colour changes in the future.
Above – a natural, lighter less ‘defined’ brow chosen for an elderly client with grey hair
below – fine/medium dark blonde brows for mature clients – complete brow loss (alopecia)
Initially the results can look rather dark but any redness or ‘blanching’ of the skin settles within hours of treatment. After a few days the skin will heal, flake and fade to reveal the ’settled’ colour.
Jeni’s designs will also vary according to the effect required. In the case of brow loss through chemotherapy, alopecia and trauma – a ‘too strong’ brow can overwhelm the face rather than enhance it. When eyebrows are restored using semi permanent makeup, eyes and facial features are ’lifted’.
Patients often suffer great anxiety when advised they may lose their hair and brows during chemotherapy. With careful planning , Jeni is able to create new ‘hairstroke’ brows within the natural brow. During chemotherapy, and as the natural brows are shed, the patient is then left with a natural looking brow underneath.
any redness after treatment settles very quickly
client with alopecia (30′s) client with sparse brows (40′s)
For darker skin types, a more dense hairstroke eyebrow will have more impact.
Eyebrow Tattooing Colour Refresh/Boost – |Single Session Treatment
After 12 – 18 months following treatment the colour will need to be boosted or refreshed. This is normally a single treatment and
is normally half the price of a full treatment.
Permanent Makeup Corrections
Permanent Makeup Corrections of other technicians work are only undertaken after careful assessment and consideration. Corrections can successfully remedy colour changes and re-balance shape.
images above and below show correction of colour and shape of old treatments initially carried out by other technicians
Correction of shape. (Please note: the eyeliner is not created using Semi Permanent Makeup)
Some Tips on How to get the Best Results from your Eyebrow Tattoo Treatment
- Reseach. Do plenty of it! This is a semi permanent/permanent treatment. Use the phone to get information direct if possible and don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions.
- Ensure the chosen practitioner is fully qualified, insured and experienced. Also (ideally) registered with the Local Authority.
- Have a thorough pre-treatment consultation with a qualified practitioner should be offered as it can help avoid misunderstandings and regrets. It is a chance to meet the person who will be treating you and who can discuss it in detail. (Dermaticians offer these free of charge). In the case of brow treatments, it is helpful to have a design drawn on to indicate how you may look afterwards.
- Always ask to see a personal portfolio of work carried out by your practitioner (not generic, photoshopped images. Artistic styles, treatments and approach can vary enormously from person to person. Ask for testimonials.
- Aftercare. Another vital part of the treatment. Verbal or written instructions on how to look after the treated area should be given together with aftercare products. Failure to follow this advice can result in disappointing results.
- Post treatment support/Aftercare.You may have questions or concerns following treatment. Ensure your practitioner will be available by phone or at least email to give advice if needed.
If you would like to speak with Jeni, or find out more about what Dermaticians can offer, or make an appointment, why not call us on 0330 330 9305 or click here to Email us